The X86 and Linux Services teams are responsible for the design, automation, delivery, and support of VMware-based virtualization solutions and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) server solutions that are used by internal customers. As part of the solution lifecycle, the teams hold specific responsibilities to evaluate, design, operationalize, automate, support, and eventually sunset VMware and RHEL versions, associated toolsets, and processes.
The Senior Manager will lead the VMware management and Linux engineering teams. The successful candidate will work closely with engineering, senior management, and Product Management to review, establish, manage, and fulfill strategic roadmap initiatives while ensuring that the VMware-based and RHEL-based products and services are properly supported. This candidate will have direct reports consisting of both individual contributors and managers, and will share on-call duties with other managers within the department.
Key to the success of the Senior Manager is establishing and maintaining strong relationships with the internal application teams and ecosystem partners who hold supporting roles or services required to create a positive customer experience. The successful candidate will be able to drive the core functions of his/her teams while actively participating in the planning associated with the combined infrastructure services strategy.
- Set and enforce achievable quality standards for products and services
- Evaluate and prioritize the backlog of work assigned to your team(s)
- Manage the complete lifecycle process for the services supplied by your team
- Balance time between multiple complex projects and baseline maintenance/tech-debt efforts
- Effectively balance customer experience, security and cost control
- Develop and manage team(s) through the full employment cycle, which includes performance management and career development
- Establish and maintain healthy relationships and feedback loops with both service partners and customers
- Manage vendors and service contracts
- Effectively translate technical issues/topics into business impact and value
- Represent team in conversations and presentations to senior leadership and stakeholders
- Manage crisis situations associated to your service area
- Prepare root cause analysis communications
- Intellectual curiosity. This is paramount. People who require strict work boundaries and/or prefer to focus within a single technical domain are not a good fit.
- Energetic team member. We are looking for someone with passion and personality who loves a challenge. This person has strong engineering instincts and can sense risks while navigating towards solutions.
- Automate everything mentality. This person needs to be interested in more than clicking a button; this person needs to be interested in creating the button that others click.
- Ability to see the bigger picture. This person will understand the connections among all elements of a solution. They will help others see how their systems and related decisions connect to the bigger picture and affect success.
- Excellent communication skills. This person is an active listener and fully engaged communicator. S/he will plug into projects and not wait for questions to be packaged up and delivered - but will actively participate in the ongoing dialogue of the project.
- Comfortable with uncertainty (and the certainty of change). This person can anticipate change and is willing to embrace uncertainty - confidently knowing that they can adapt without losing their cool.
- Execution orientated. This person loathes doing nothing and is capable of defining their path forward from a high-level vision.
- Must be presently authorized to work in the U.S. without a requirement for work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future
- Minimum 3 years of previous Red Hat Enterprise Linux server or CentOS experience as an administrator or engineer
- Minimum 3 years of experience using VMware virtualization technologies, or a minimum of 2 years as a VMware administrator or engineer
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing infrastructure engineering/operations teams
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing an IT staff, which included selecting and developing strong performers, and conducting performance and salary reviews
- 2+ years managing managers
- Experience managing services distributed over physical, virtual (internal), and public cloud infrastructure
- Flexible schedule to accommodate after-hours response to incident-related managerial escalations when necessary
- Must be comfortable and effective at presenting to various audiences
- Must be able to travel between St. Louis campuses
- Must have strong team work qualities with the ability to establish and maintain solid working relationships with peers, vendors, senior management, and other departments within IT
- Must be detail oriented with strong problem solving and time management skills
- Must have proven experience in working and communicating effectively in cross-functional teams
- Must be committed to incorporating security into all decisions and daily job responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or related field preferred
- Experience applying Agile concepts to infrastructure development and delivery
- Previous experience with open source and enterprise-grade orchestration tools such as ServiceNow, Ansible, Chef, HPE Operations Orchestration, etc.
- Prior experience using JIRA for issue and project tracking
- Experience with supporting hardware platforms such as HP (DL & c-Class), Cisco UCS, Supermicro, and the associated management software.
- Experience deploying and managing infrastructure services hosted with a public cloud service (e.g. Azure, Amazon, Google, etc.)