Oak Ridge, TN Posted: 9/12/2023
EGS is seeking a Specialty Mechanical Designer to join our team at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, TN, which provides integral mission support to the NNSA.
This position is full-time and will serve the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, TN.
Specialty Mechanical Designers will produce 3D equipment models and build to print fabrication packages for specialty and first of a kind equipment utilizing CREO 3D CAD software Equipment examples include gloveboxes, furnaces, high vacuum systems, gas transfer/analysis systems, process skids, metal casting, and machining equipment. This position is for a designer with machine/equipment design experience, and not strictly drafting support.
To be successful in this position, applicants should have experience and future career interests in the following skills/subject areas:
- Create part/assembly models and drawings using CREO Parametric and Windchill PDM
- Produce a variety of design outputs including but not limited to interface control drawings, build-to-print fabrication drawings, and bills of materials.
- Consistent application of product numbering, assembly/drawing structure, and drawing numbers
- Use of drafting standards such as ASME Y14.100 or the Drawing Requirements Manual
- Application of ASME Y14.5 for dimensional tolerances and inspection criteria
- Tolerance stack-up and error analysis calculations
- Ensure design outputs are of sufficient detail for use by the end user/design requestor.
- Select materials and library components which are compatible with corrosive gases and solutions.
- Possess the knowledge in respective technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques of mechanical design and fabrication.
- Demonstrate competence in applying engineering and design fundamentals to the design and fabrication of complex mechanical components, mechanisms, and systems.
- Possess general shop experience with metal cutting tools and sheet metal fabrication (e.g., mills, lathes, wire EDM, bending, water/laser cutting, etc.).
- Design fixtures and tooling for part fabrication, inspection, and assembly.
- Apply welding, non-destructive examination, and leak checking code references, symbols, and notes in accordance with AWS and/or ASME standards.
- Define the acceptance criteria, inspections, and testing required to qualify equipment and components.
- Perform technical evaluations to disposition non-conformances, respond to request for waivers/deviations, and support engineering change packages.
- Conduct technical evaluations of custom and off-the-shelf components to identify attributes which are critical to performance.
- Provide Design For Assembly (DFA) and Design For Manufacturability (DFM) reviews of designs to be fabricated.
- Support estimates, execution, and reporting of mechanical design and drafting activities to defined project schedules.
- Integrate equipment into existing facilities, including interface control documents and coordinating tie-ins with facility engineering representatives.
- Coordinate design reviews and design document transmittals.
- Support the fabrication, installation, testing, readiness, and startup of custom designed equipment.
- Promote a professional code of conduct and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a project team environment and communicate well with other disciplines, customers, and stakeholders
- Provide technical direction and trouble-shooting skills.
- Perform peer-review of drawings generated by other designers.
- Promote a strong security culture. This involves understanding how to produce design outputs in/with areas, computers, and communication channels which have multiple levels of security control.
- Perform design scope on sensitive projects while maintaining excellent. communication with the classification office, derivative classifiers, reviewing officials, and high-risk property management.
- Communicate the importance of protecting proprietary or sensitive information and complying with cybersecurity policies and guidelines.
- Maintain configuration management of design outputs through Windchill PDM (project data management), to ensure revision control and change control activities/workflows.
- Perform design activities in accordance with documented design procedures, processes instructions, and forms (e.g.: Design Control, Design Reviews, Drawing Preparation, Drafting Standards, and Change Control Procedures).
Minimum Security Clearance:
- Must possess an Associate degree in a technical field.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience with CREO Parametric 3D CAD software.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in machine/equipment design.
- Hours will be 06:00 - 16:30, Monday through Thursday on-site at Y-12 in Oak Ridge, TN.
- Successful drug screening.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a security or clearance badge.
- 10 years plus of direct experience.
- A degree from an ABET accredited Engineering program.
- Active Q – Clearance Preferred.
- Glovebox design experience.
- American Glovebox Society standards of practice & guidelines experience.
- Design experience with custom industrial equipment and process skids on government projects.
Already have an account? Log in here