Nuclear Criticality Safety Engineer
Oak Ridge, TN Posted: 9/13/2023
EGS is seeking a Nuclear Criticality Safety Engineer to join our team at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, TN, which provides integral mission support to the NNSA.
This position is full-time and will serve the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, TN.
- Provide technical capabilities in Nuclear Criticality Safety (NCS) to ensure fissile materials are processed, stored, transferred, and handled safely so that personnel and property are protected against a nuclear criticality accident.
- Perform analysis of equipment, processes, and procedures prescribing correct methods, control requirements, and limitations.
- Conduct surveillances, inspections, walkthroughs, appraisals, or audits of fissile material operations to ensure compliance with approvals.
- Provide operating areas with specific NCS professional interpretations and advice. Perform training to employees in basic NCS.
- Validate, maintain, and operate nuclear computer codes and nuclear cross-sections.
- Development, revision, and review of Nuclear Criticality Safety (NCS) documentation such as Criticality Safety Evaluations (CSEs), Nuclear Criticality Safety Determinations (NCSDs), Technical Deviations (TDs), and various other NCS technical basis documentation.
- Completion of required NCS annual Operational Reviews as needed.
- Daily nuclear facility support as needed; consisting of facility walkdowns, review of NCS requirements implementing documents, participation at facility Operational Safety Boards, etc.
Minimum Security Clearance:
- B.S. Degree from an ABET accredited Engineering program plus 2 to 4 years of experience required, or MA or MS with 1 to 4 years of experience.
- Experience in the application of DOE rules, guides, orders, standards, and handbooks including 10CFR 830, Nuclear Safety Management, is required.
- Successful drug screening.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a security or clearance badge.
- B.S. Degree from an ABET accredited Engineering program plus 20 years of NCS experience with 10 years of DOE-specific experience, or a MA or MS degree plus 18 years of NCS experience with 10 years of DOE specific experience.
- Active Q Clearance (preferred
Already have an account? Log in here