Summary of Responsibilities
The contracted Project Controls Specialists (PCS) shall be responsible to plan and implement cost and schedule project control functions for science, engineering, or construction on the projects from the earliest stages of project planning through execution and closeout.
The PCS provides oversite of the work, resources, and dollars using project controls tools drawing from advanced understanding of project management methodology, project control principles, and hands-on experience with Primavera P6, cost estimation, and risk management tools. Using their expertise and tools they successfully develop project integrated resource loaded schedules, activity coding, and reports using appropriate software tools including cost estimating, risk management, scheduling, and cost processing software for project cost and earned value management. They may provide leadership or advice to other PCS. They may interface with other PCS in the development of templates, serving as a scheduling and cost processing tool expert, and advising division/project managers on the trends and progress of their plans and schedules.
The PCS will be responsible for the preparation and analysis of monthly trend and Earned Value (EV) performance reports, and for processing updates to the Estimate to Complete (EAC) updates and implementing baseline revisions. The PCS will provide leadership or advice during the development, and implementation of the projects(s) Earned Value Management System (EVMS) compliant Performance Measurement Baseline (PMB). The PMB must meet standards required for DOE CD gateways including CD-1, CD-2, CD-3, and CD-4.
The PCS shall be capable of drawing upon their expert understanding of project management methodology, risk management, cost estimating, project control principles, and hands-on experience with Primavera P6, cost estimation, and risk management to successfully develop project integrated resource loaded schedules, activity coding, and reports using appropriate software tools including cost estimating, risk management, scheduling, and cost processing software for project cost and earned value management, such as Primavera P6 (Version 8.1 or later), Deltek Cobra (V5.1 or later), cost estimation software, and risk management software.
The PCS will assist with the implementation of all aspects of an earned value management system on the assigned project(s), in accordance to FRA EVMS which may include:
- Developing and maintaining a fully integrated resource loaded schedule
- Assisting technical management in developing resource requirements to support the project cost estimates
- Performing analysis of the project schedule using critical path methodology
- Managing and incorporate changes to the working/forecast schedule and Performance Measurement Baseline
- Generate performance measurement monthly reports for the management team
- Interface with project technical staff to define scope of work, baseline changes variance analysis, and implementation of corrective actions
- Present earned value analysis data at project management meetings and internal/external reviews
- Support the development and deployment of new techniques and tools
- The PCS shall have high communication skills and attention to detail.
- Supporting monthly risk management tools, processes, and meetings
- Other specific project control discipline duties may include performing independent cost estimations, quality assessment reviews, or risk analysis reviews
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Supporting the line managers, project managers and project teams in developing, implementing, and maintaining project controls systems (e.g., planning, scheduling, control, reporting, and performance measurement requirements), and the Project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
- Participating in developing and maintaining fully integrated resource loaded schedules using standard project management scheduling and EV methodology providing efficient, effective, and responsive project controls, standards, and procedures to ensure assigned projects comply with DOE, Lab and project controls requirements
- Participating in project start-up on complex projects with substantial scope, and develops detailed project controls plans, statements of work, and other types of planning documents.
- Participating in constructing and maintaining time-phased budgets, work schedules, work breakdown structures, and cost account plans.
- Creating and implementing FRA Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS)
- Maintaining EV data with cost processor software.
- Performing project earned value data analysis in conjunction with the Control Account Managers (CAM) and Project Manager.
- Performing trend projections, develops metrics to analyze project performance, and generates performance measurement monthly reports for the management team.
- Analyzing and evaluating existing EVMS, while recommending, designing develop-ing, and implementing changes and new systems, striving to make project controls systems more efficient, effective, and responsive.
- Interacting and collaborating with others in providing a development plan and annual performance goals relating to Lab"s objectives or translate needs to value-added products/services.
- Interfacing with the project"s technical staff, financial staff, project managers and the functional managers on all aspects of cost control and scheduling.
- Working with the project"s technical staff, project management, and the functional managers to
- Develop resource needs (Labor and M&S) and the project"s Basis of Estimate (BOE); incorporate changes to the schedule and/or baseline
- Process Estimate to Complete (ETC) updates to generate the project"s Estimate at Completion (EAC)
- Manage and maintain the project"s Change Control process
- Perform Baseline Changes and Variance analysis, and implement corrective actions
- Develop project"s cost estimates, monthly status and performance reporting
- Develop presentations pertaining to the project schedules, resources, and project performance
- Participating in the creation and implementation of proposed subcontracts with respect to schedule requirements imposed on subcontractors; interacts with Lab managers in monitoring and directing the efforts of subcontractors; participates in meetings involving schedule creation, maintenance and revisions of subcontractors.
- Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abiding by and performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
- Training and directing junior staff in the above project controls responsibilities