Project Controls Specialists
Los Alamos, NM Posted: 8/30/2022
Supervises and lead schedule development, maintenance and monitoring activities. Supervise cost engineering analysis, and control activities. Prepares and reviews supervises the preparation and presentation of cost engineering and planning activities. Supports project or program organizational and administrative activities. Responsible for cost engineering and cost analysis/control and planning and scheduling activities for projects or programs with significant non-routine requirements o for discipline/projects/programs/proposal cost and planning activities which require a high degree of technical skilled experience. Demonstrated skill in identifying, analyzing, and providing innovative solutions to cost engineering and schedule guidance to projects and programs. Ensures work is completed as scheduled. Identification of cost trends for management attention.
Has broad expertise or unique knowledge, uses skills to contribute to development of objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways. Develops advanced concepts, techniques, and standards based on professional principles and theories. Viewed as expert in field within the Laboratory. Works on unusually significant, unique or complex issues, provides solutions that are highly creative and where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles. Has impact on success of future concepts, products or technologies. Works under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range targets. Assignments are often self-initiated. Virtually self-supervisory. Uses independent judgment for determining course of action to accomplish objectives. Uses wide latitude in the methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Safety and security are a primary responsibility for all Laboratory employees. Assures safety and security compliance, maintains required safety and security training, , and makes safety and security an integral part of every task, including taking the necessary steps to stop work if continuing the job is unsafe or compromises security.
- Fosters a mutually respectful and inclusive work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment
The following duties are general/common across disciplines within the project controls function:
- Provides comments and recommendations for planning and scheduling/cost engineering requirements relative to staffing and project control. Prepares detailed staffing plans for planning and scheduling/cost engineering activities. P6 and EVMS experience
- Reviews or assists in reviewing proposal provisions related to schedule/cost engineering and material control, and develops supporting data for contract negotiations.
- Interfaces with designated management and client counterparts for specific planning and schedule tasks/cost presentations.
- Participates in developing and presenting training classes on designated subjects and on-the-job training for specific processes and practices.
- Performs personnel performance reviews when delegated. Interviews candidates and makes recommendations for employment decisions.
- Coordinates information input into specific studies. Integrates activities and total work scope identification. Evaluates study results and recommends conclusions for project team consideration and discussion.
- Prepares and analyzes comparisons of scope, quantities, and cost data between the projects.
- Performs productivity analysis of operations and verifies results by staffing and crew analysis of work operations by craft and resource.
- Develops bid or proposal evaluation cost and schedule criteria and prepares bid or proposal evaluations. May participate in discussions with vendors or customers.
- Supports development of project controls standards and procedures. Supervises and supports the compilation of historical data.
- Creates and implements measurement systems for established processes, analyzes performance metric results, and identifies improvements. Uses statistical tool to analyze metrics (e.g., regression, analysis of variance, correlation), and analyzes measurement systems to identify bias, repeatability, and stability issues.
- Provides analysis and reports on assigned areas to the project.
The following duties are performed with respect to cost engineering on the project:
- Coordinates and establishes scoping requirements for the overall cost estimate by discipline or other specialty, and coordinates the timely, systematic, and complete acquisition of scope definition and related data. Reviews design scope criteria and quantities for completeness and reasonableness, and coordinates with the project to develop additional estimating bases when information is incomplete. Establishes the conceptual scope of studies when definition is not available.
- Plans, coordinates, and establishes level of quantification appropriate to the objectives of the effort and to the level of scope definition for each discipline or specialty, and designates reference job(s) for source data and/or reconciliations of quantities. Reviews quantities and their completeness and reasonableness.
- Takes a lead role in estimating activities. Establishes the conceptual scope of estimates and studies. Establishes format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to level of confidence and identification of areas of risk.
- Coordinates pricing structure or criteria to be used by each discipline or specialty to meet the objectives of the cost estimate.
- Assists in developing unit job-hour and pricing data for a specific discipline or other specialty, including estimating parameters, factors indices, productivity and craft distribution reference data, etc., based on analysis of industry experience. Performs data analysis, identifies problems, and makes recommendations.
- Obtains vendor information to update the cost data file, and maintains cost data files.
- Establishes productivity basis to be utilized in estimates, as developed in concurrence with construction. Reviews labor estimates for reasonableness.
- Prepares or reviews distributions and/or contractors indirect cost estimates, developing basis for temporary facilities, miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and equipment, non-manual manpower, startup services, payroll taxes and insurance, facilities and operations cost, and other field office costs. Prepares or reviews contingency evaluation for estimates, escalation estimates, reconciliations for estimates, and management presentations.
- Defines project needs for cost control in accordance with established customer requirements, objectives, and procedures. Supervises the timely and competent performance of cost control activities. Reviews and critiques designs and specifications for cost effectiveness and suggests alternatives when appropriate. Prepares or supervises the preparation of cost studies utilizing historical data, statistical analysis, and cost and quantity comparisons. Innovates new techniques, as required, to meet specific needs. Prepares cost trend estimates in support of project cost trend programs.
- Supervises cost recording, monitoring, and reporting practices for compliance with applicable standards. Supervises and is responsible for the development and accuracy of cost engineering reports. Verifies consistency with previous reports to ensure compatibility. Responsible for issuing reports required by management and project procedures.
- Supervises investigating requirements for estimating and/or cost control data for specific discipline or other specialty applications. Identifies needs for cost analysis support for the project, and recommends development or modification of cost engineering data standards. Supervises performance of cost analysis activities within the project.
The following duties are performed with respect to scheduling:
- Supervises the collection, verification, and integration of work scope for all entities into the total project plan. Reviews the representation of project scope in schedules.
- Plans and supervises the effort to establish milestones for total project or major portions of the project. Reviews project work activities to ensure support of project milestones.
- Provides supervision and assistance to planners in the development and integration of individual schedules into the total project plan. Reviews the performing organization's and unit's work logics and determines adequacy of schedules in support of overall project schedule.
- Supervises/directs, reviews, and evaluates schedule durations for all disciplines activities relative to support of project milestones. Supervises/directs calculation of duration and other considerations affecting activity duration.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises schedule resource loading and leveling, as well as project cost budgets. Coordinates development of all bulk commodity release and installation curves. Integrates appropriate manpower requirements for each discipline/specialty relative to overall project needs. Determines quantity and manpower levels in support of project needs and schedule philosophy.
- Supervises/directs obtaining required schedule information by all disciplines. Supervises identification of schedule restraints and effect on total project schedule Works with all departments to ensure understanding of total project schedule needs. Responsible for total integration of schedule activities. Identifies schedule considerations and problems resulting from inter-discipline or group restraints and interfaces.
- Monitors and reports critical path and schedule performance of the total project. Supervises project schedule analysis and studies of problem areas to determine criticality of schedule activities. Recommends alternatives for schedule improvement to project team for discussion and/or decision.
- Responsible for preparing and presenting the schedule impact report. Responsible for leading the development and review of schedule recovery plans, including evaluation of additional resources/costs required to effect such plans.
- Researches, assembles, and/or evaluates information or data regarding industry practices or applicable regulatory changes affecting policies or programs; recommends sound, practical solutions to complex issues. Understands and adheres to all Laboratory and industry regulatory guidance and governance. Ensures all results, processes, and final products meet quality specifications and are completed according to established requirements.
- Lead support efforts to Control Account Manager (CAM) in planning, budgeting, managing and controlling costs and schedule performance (Earned Value Management System (EVMS)) for a project or subproject and serve as a point of contact for project controls, including account scope, schedule, budget and technical performance. Leads efforts to ensure work packages realistically represent the duration and budget necessary to perform work and perform variance analysis reviews, determine cause and effect of schedule or cost variance and define achievable corrective action plans. May be expected to present project management performance plans, status updates, trends, or issues to federal sponsors.
- Extensive experience and expert knowledge in the Project Controls function and sub functions of cost and schedule. Earned Value Management.
- Extensive and proven expert experience in performing, monitoring, and reviewing planning and scheduling functions, including schedule development, schedule control, and schedule analysis.
- Extensive experience in cost engineering functions, including cost estimating, cost control, financial reporting systems and cost and variance analysis. Experience in managing and leading projects throughout all phases: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Controlling, and Closeout. Knowledge of engineering and/or construction management customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or practical experience.
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting systems and controller account codes, and understanding of controller instructions, which impact project controls (including project financial status reports and earned revenue determination data).
- Extensive experience with successful implementation and maintenance of EVMS principles and techniques that complies with EIA-748 in U.S. Government facilities, programs, and/or projects.
- Advanced knowledge of using personal computer operating systems and general computer applications and software, including several basic software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Possess expert knowledge and extensive experience using schedule software tools such as Primavera P6.
- Advanced experience and expert knowledge of using cost processors and EVMS reporting tools such as Cobra, wInsight or Empower. Possess advanced knowledge and technical skills with integration of all project controls system components.
- Experience serving as a subject matter expert and mentoring others on diverse topics of the above software applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Experience leading large organizations, programs, or projects with significant fiscal and programmatic responsibilities. Advanced Knowledge and experience of supervision, personnel administration, and training of technical and non-technical personnel. Ability to lead without positional authority.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with all levels of management, staff, customers, and stakeholders. Distinguished track record setting technical direction and goals, developing programs, implementing effective business practices and systems, managing budgets and finances, and managing customer and stakeholder relations.
- Demonstrated ability to build and grow both internal and external organizational relationships. Demonstrated experience in effective decision-making and creative problem solving.
- Education Position requires a Bachelor"s Degree and 10 years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation At this level, post graduate course work may be expected.
Already have an account? Log in here