Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients' transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 85 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation and common-sense. Kleinfelder's integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives - from project inception through design and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose - together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder is growing and looking to add a Utility Engineer to our Sacramento office!
The Utility Engineer applies broad knowledge of standards, principles, and practices to various engineering workstream projects and programs; independently evaluates, selects, and adapts standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria. The Utility Engineer acquires general knowledge of principles and practices of related fields and can function as a member or Lead of multidisciplinary teams. This role works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major projects simultaneously and may serve as Lead on their own project(s). In addition, the Utility Engineer identifies opportunities to expand engineering services with existing clients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare designs, calculations, drawings, layouts, and studies from field inspections, preliminary sketches, specifications, and instructions requiring knowledge of engineering practices and shop and field procedures
- Review designs and documentation to ensure compliance with codes, standards and design criteria
- Acquire and analyze data using appropriate standard quantitative methods
- Gas system network and hydraulic analysis
- Construction specification and bid package preparation
- Pipeline design and material selection
- Alternative/Feasibility studies
- Develop status reports with task completion, progress, challenges, and solutions
- Work closely with other workgroups at our clients' place of business and Kleinfelder offices
- Coordinate various inspection and testing methods, gather data, analyze, and report findings
- Demonstrate sound engineering judgment
- Provide guidance, instruction, and coaching to entry‐level and other Engineers on team
- Assist in determining schedule & budget requirements
- Plan & coordinate detailed aspects of engineering work
- Assist in development of quality standard for assignment/deliverables
- Assist with proposals to provide professional services
- Coordinate with other firm's process and delivery timelines to keep projects on schedule and on budget
- Approve timesheets, vacations, and expenditures
- Provide coaching and performance feedback for project and/or team members
- Assign tasks to and coordinate work with engineers, drafters, and administrative staff (all stakeholders)
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate the preparation of documents or activities for multiple major projects, or is responsible for an entire program for organization
- Oversee and direct the activities of workers assigned to team(s)
- Perform employee training, coaching, hiring; prepare job descriptions, and handling of employee issues
- Coordinate projects & workload with other teams and/or departments
- Manage project performance within project cost estimates and schedules
Technical Skills, Degrees or Certifications
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Engineer-In-Training Certification (Desired)
- Working knowledge of CAD and GIS software (Desired)
- Technical communication
- Proficient use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint
- Utility business understanding (Desired)
- Valid Driver's license
- Provide engineering and technical solutions by using existing or developing tools, methods, approaches, and tactics, or modifying/improving upon those existing
- Design a complete project, system, component, or process
- Experience preparing complete project documents
- Research materials and equipment for application, analyzes results and recommends
- Experience preparing budgets, bids, and contracts
Leadership Skills Required
- Embrace and demonstrate Kleinfelder values
- Take ownership of projects and assignments
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to support fellow Kleinfelder employees (Camaraderie)
- Demonstrate professionalism within Kleinfelder and with clients; reach beyond basic competence required for tasks (Proficiency)
- Own up to mistakes and work to resolve quickly and efficiently, follow through on commitments, hold self accountable, strive to do what is 'right' (Integrity, Humility)
- Take pride in work; reinforce high standard of excellence with self, team and others in work and deliverables (Quality)
- Take ownership and provide direction for projects and assignments
This position may require work on projects requiring full vaccination from COVID-19. If that is the case, you will be required to show proof of vaccination or an acceptable exemption in order to work on the project.
Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.