Take Your Environmental Career to the Next Level
Are you ready to be challenged, make a difference, and experience professional growth in your career? Kleinfelder's Environmental team is looking for you! From environmental planning, permitting, remediation, and site characterization to chemical data management and hydrogeology, Kleinfelder offers a variety of services designed to provide technically appropriate and cost-effective solutions.
Kleinfelder's Bay Area Offices (Oakland, San Francisco, and Walnut Creek) are seeking a Senior Biologist with a documented background in federal and state regulatory agency permitting, interagency consultation and mitigation planning for transportation projects. The candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of transportation infrastructure and construction methodologies to prepare impact analyses for permit applications. Using their knowledge of transportation projects, the applicant will advise engineering design teams on the use of alterative build designs or construction methodologies to avoid or minimize impacts to regulated resources. The applicant will be responsible for scoping, budgeting, managing, and delivering technical biological documents and permit applications. Technical documents and permit application may include;
- United State Fish and Wildlife Service - Biological Assessment,
- National Marine Fisheries Service - Biological Assessment,
- Marine Mammal Protection Act - Biological Assessment,
- United States Army Corps of Engineers - Wetland Delineation
- United States Army Corps of Engineers - Nationwide 404 Permit Application
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife - Incidental Take Permit Application
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife - Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreement
The selected candidate will manage a team of talented technical specialists to complete studies and mapping for tree surveys, habitat assessments, wildlife camera studies, wildlife crossing feasibility studies, vegetation classifications, special-status species surveys, plant surveys, and the delineation of state and federal wetlands and waters. The applicant will also be responsible for planning, budgeting, implementing, or facilitating the purchase of compensatory mitigation associated with regulated resources or special status species.
Specific expectations this role will include:
- Must be highly motivated to solicit input from various design groups to build project descriptions and refine robust impact analyses during the preparation of environmental documents and for regulatory permit applications.
- Effective problem-solving ability
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Clear understanding of state and federal regulatory requirements and a robust knowledge of California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) procedures.
- Experience with managing projects from scoping, implementation, staff/budget/schedule management and delivery
- Excellent client communications and ability to understand construction plans and specifications
- Managing and preparing concise, accurate technical documents that meet regulatory requirements and professional standards
- Ability to provide professional presentations.
- Coordination with other project managers and multidisciplinary teams, in addition to developing and monitoring project budgets and schedules
This position will be a great fit for candidates with experience navigating the complex environment of regulatory permitting for transportation projects in Northern California. It also provides an opportunity for the candidate to help guide design teams to minimize impacts associated with transportation projects and mitigate those impacts when needed.
Qualifications for this role:
- MS or BS degree in Biology, Forestry, Ecology, Botany and/or an environmental science or policy field required
- 5 - 7 years of regulatory agency permit application preparation and impact analysis
- 3 - 5 years of regulatory agency communication and collaboration
This position may require work on projects requiring full vaccination from COVID-19. If that is the case, you will be required to show proof of vaccination or an acceptable exemption in order to work on the project.
Move Forward with Kleinfelder
Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients' transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 85 offices in the US, Canada, and Australia. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose - together, we deliver.
Progress with an Employer that Values You
Kleinfelder is an inclusive organization free from discrimination. We are a stronger organization when we are a diverse workforce and believe that through diversity, equity, and inclusion comes creativity, innovation, and unity. We are proud to offer the following:
Benefits: Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays. The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Pay Transparency Law. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience. Salary range: $55,151 - $91,994.
Career Development: We are committed to investing in the professional development of our staff, offering each employee every opportunity to grow, develop, and take control of their career paths. We support these efforts through reimbursements for continuing education as well as many of the expenses associated with trainings and certifications, and opportunities for career development through our internal Mentoring Program.
Equal Opportunity: Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans. (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.