Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients' transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 85 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation and common-sense. Kleinfelder's integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives - from project inception through design and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose - together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder's Austin, Texas office is currently seeking an Entry Level Field Engineer to join the team!
Reporting to Project Managers or Senior Project Managers, Field Engineer will have the opportunity to work on geotechnical engineering projects as wells as construction materials testing and inspection projects. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in learning about the many aspects of the geotechnical and materials testing industry.
The engineering specialist will be responsible for logging and oversight of test borings, test pits and infiltration testing, among other geotechnical field activities. The candidate will also be responsible for preparation of appendices (i.e. maps, location plans, boring/test pit logs and geotechnical report preparation.
Materials Testing and Inspection:
We're looking for a person with strong initiative, who will perform routine to complex inspection and testing of construction materials in the field, in order to verify conformance to construction plans and specifications. The field engineer will prepare daily reports and data sheets and may be called upon to perform various tasks at the discretion of the supervisor. Duties will include concrete sampling and testing, nuclear moisture density testing, reinforcing steel observations, and more complex observation and inspection duties.
Working well in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment is a must. Strong communication skills are necessary to succeed in this role.
Role and Responsibilities
The specific responsibilities include:
- Coordinate field reconnaissance, borehole staking, clearance of utilities, and client/Owner interaction for performance of geotechnical field explorations.
- Perform observations and testing on materials testing projects to verify conformance to the construction plans and specifications.
- Submitting daily field reports and data reports summarizing daily activities.
- Perform borehole and test pit logging, and prepare field logs.
- Coordinate and supervise drilling crews in the field.
- Review boring logs, assign laboratory tests, and perform laboratory analysis of soils.
- Prepare report appendices using programs such as GIS, CAD, Excel, Word, etc.
- Conduct engineering calculations under the supervision of a professional engineer.
- Assist with preparation of geotechnical reports in conjunction with the Project Manager.
- Maintaining objectives, initiatives, and overall goals set forth by the project manager.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Geology
- EIT or GIT or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- 0 to 2 years' experience in the provision of geotechnical-related engineering field
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Responsive attitude and approach to staff and client needs
- Timely decision-making skills
- Ability to read and review test procedures, standards, plans, and specifications.
- Managing and measuring work
Required Certifications include (or ability to obtain within 60 days of hire):
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician - Grade I
- Radiation Safety (nuclear density gauge: Troxler, CPN, Instrotek)
- Texas Department of Transportation Testing Certifications
Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.