Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients' transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 85 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation and common-sense. Kleinfelder's integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives - from project inception through design and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose - together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder is seeking On-Call Architectural Historians to support with public and private sector projects throughout California. The individual will assist with historical research, field survey, resource recordation, and technical reports. The individual will largely work remote and in the field but will report to Kleinfelder offices as needed. The individual's direct supervisor is located in San Diego, California, however the individual's home office can be Los Angeles, Laguna Hills, Riverside, or San Diego.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Fieldwork including but not limited to: Research at in-person repositories, reconnaissance- and intensive-level architectural history surveys, resource recordation including architectural descriptions, and resource evaluation based on NRHP, CHRH, and/or local regulations.
- Office tasks including but not limited to: Remote research, drafting historic contexts, report writing, and resource evaluation based on NRHP, CHRH, and/or local regulations.
- Work directly with other architectural historians, archaeologists, biologist, environmental planners and project managers.
- Successful candidates will be familiar with working within a fast-paced consulting environment and help to develop effective solutions to both expected and unexpected project challenges.
- Provide enthusiasm and commitment to client service and technical excellence.
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA or higher (MA preferred) in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, History, or closely related field.
- 1+ years of related experience in California.
- Familiar with preparing Department of Parks and Recreation Forms (DPR 523- series)
- Candidates must be able and willing to travel and work outdoors in remote locations and for extended periods under all weather conditions, sometimes traversing rugged terrain.
- Some overnight travel may be required.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and management skills.
- The ability to work closely with clients, engineers, and other technical specialists as part of a larger combined project team.
- Candidates located in Southern California are preferred.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Pay Transparency Law. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience. Hourly range: $21.08 - $35.11.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.