Essential Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- Providing Industrial Hygiene & Safety technical guidance to CH-TRU operations on environmental remediation problems and issues
- Conducting investigations of the site to determine the extent of contamination and ensuring that work will be in accordance with all federal, state regulatory requirements and within N3B's Industrial Hygiene & Safety policies
- Overseeing and developing IHS processes necessary for ensuring compliance with technical and regulatory requirements to assist in the development of TRU waste isolation and/or removal strategies
- Appling the hierarchy of controls to eliminate or mitigate hazards while ensuring CH-TRU mission success.
- Monitoring and reviewing the Industrial Hygiene & Safety performance of subcontractors in the areas of work planning, work execution, installation, inspections, material control, and other areas of their work to confirm that they are performing in accordance with N3Bs subcontract work program (Exhibit F process).
While working to achieve N3B LLCC objectives, the Industrial Hygienst 4 will ensure all activities and operations are performed in a safe and deliberate manner; will maintain required safety, security and operational training; assure procedural and regulatory compliance; and make safety, security and quality an integral part of every task; including taking the necessary steps to stop work if continuing the job is unsafe or compromises security.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- Frequent use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques.in Industrial Hygiene, including use of various sampling and analysis methods, personal exposure monitoring, safety program development, and related recordkeeping.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively convey major elements of IHS, clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing to diverse audiences
- Experience preparing, reviewing and presenting Industrial Hygiene & Safety protection reports
- Demonstrated experience in the identification, application and interpretation of federal codes, standards, and regulations in several Industrial Hygiene & Safety program areas, including chemical safety, beryllium, exposure assessment, cryogens, confined spaces, fall protection, and other IHS areas
- Experience conducting research, investigating alternative solutions, and recommending solutions on problems affecting CH-TRU worker health & safety
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelors' degree in a technical discipline (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physiology, etc) combined with at least 10-14 years of relevant experience. However, a combination of education and relevant experience wherein the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position’s duties and responsibilities have been adequately demonstrated is acceptable.
Education Equivalency: 2 years of relevant experience for 1 year of college.
Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) the American Board of Industrial Hygiene and/or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
Additionally, the applicant must meet the requirements of DOE O 426.2 (i.e., Bachelors’ in engineering or related science, 2 years job-related and at least 1 year nuclear experience, or a DOE O 426.2 alternative).
NOTE: The job related and nuclear experience requirements noted above are not a prerequisite for N3B employment. These experience requirements can be satisfied based on N3B and/or LANL experience obtained following employment. In the interim, until experience requirements are met, newly hired personnel will not be assigned duties that could impact the safety basis of nuclear facilities. (Ref. DOE O 426.2)
Serves as consultant to management and special external spokesperson for the organization on major matters pertaining to its policies, plans, and objectives.
Effects of decisions are long-lasting and heavily influence the future course of the organization. Errors in judgment or failure to achieve results would result in the expenditure of large amounts of resources.
Diversity & Inclusiveness
N3B is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
N3B will ensure no applicant for employment or employee is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.