The ideal candidate for this position will have a combination of background knowledge, entailing both Project Management and Estimating experience. The Estimator prepares timely and accurate bid estimates for mid-size projects/programs within an assigned line of business, Region or Division and helps plan all projects with expectations for the efficient use of personnel, equipment, materials and subcontractors within contract requirements, time guidelines and other restrictions. The Estimator will understand the major business components and implications specific to estimating and cost control for the business while ensuring compliance with the established Project Management Methodology and upholding safety and quality management protocols. Under general guidance, this role prepares and maintains bid documentation, utilizing historical data from past projects, subcontracts, and productivity analysis. Estimator’s responsibilities may include travel to job locations to confirm project site conditions and assisting field personnel in developing and/or recommending change orders to scope as needed. The Estimator will ensure bid deadlines and customer presentation requirements are met and will assist in developing and implementing estimating guidelines. This role also contributes to the continuous improvement of methodology, tools and approaches using fundamentals of Project Management practices. Additionally, the Estimator will interface with various internal and external stakeholders on planning and scheduling related items and functions, including reporting requirements, progress reporting, etc., while communicating with influence and presenting effectively to client group and team members. In this important role you will provide design and estimation for assigned internal capital and maintenance as well as customer driven projects on electric transmission and distribution systems. Work closely with other members of the department on all assigned projects to ensure that customers are provided with superior service in accordance with standards, and customer service policies and procedures.
- Enter new service requests using company approved systems and processes as needed.
- Design electric distribution and transmission systems and facilities per standards and procedures.
- Plan, design, estimate, and coordinate customer requirements for electric service installations and primary/main extensions for new commercial and residential customers per extension policy.
- Assure that electric construction complies with and industry codes and standards.
- Prepare construction plans, survey and stake facilities for new line extensions and integrity (replacement) upgrades.
- Provide accurate and detailed information, drawings and estimates based on information collected from customers, internal team members, and field visits for field crews to perform the required work.
- Prepare all necessary documents in the appropriate system that may be required to install equipment and facilities, as well as to maintain appropriate record keeping for the work performed.
- Prepare and submit necessary rights-of-way, easements, and other permit documents as required
- Experience in construction estimating, ability to read/interpret detailed prints and specifications for conceptual, lump sum or unit pricing
- Experience in Transmission and Distribution Industry
- Working knowledge of construction and relevant industry practices
- Experience with computerized bidding software and proficiency in MS Office applications
- Completion of required training and some formal Project Management coursework
- Moderately complex problem-solving skills
- Advanced knowledge of electrical/standards for construction, methods, materials, pricing and design.
- Knowledge of cost estimating and variance reporting.
- Strong knowledge of computers and ability to use Microsoft Office products and trade related software.
- Strong construction design and estimating skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organizes, and designs multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, contractors and employees.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Driver’s license.
- Ability to operate in a variety of settings ranging from normal office environment to outdoors.
- Assist with storm/outage restoration as needed.
- Become proficient with company mapping, asset, and accounting systems to facilitate efficient completion of job duties.
- Minimum five (5) years of construction, project management, electrical line construction, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience with electric system operations and construction preferred.
BHI will provide reasonable accommodations for the application process and during employment necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions. If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with BHI Energy, please email ESC@bhienergy.com providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you.