Work Location: West Coast Florida/Napleton & Bradenton
Reports To: Field Survey Supervisor
The GPR Technician provides GPR and survey support to our client in association with the West Palm Beach Storm Hardening Project in Florida. Under the direct supervision of the Field Survey Supervisor, the GPR Technician will utilize Ground Penetrating Radar (UtilityScan) to detect all underground utilities that could interfere with construction efforts. Some of these facilities include Telecommunication,water, Gas, Electric, Sanitary, Storm Water and various other utilities. You will need to know how to read and comprehend As-Built blueprint drawings and report accurate mark-out of utilities. You will also be responsible for supporting normal electrical distribution surveying of pole lines.
- Will collect survey data from distribution power lines and poles and related equipment.
- The incumbent takes essential pictures that capture exact pole framing, conductor size and visual details of other pole-related equipment.
- This data is then processed and stored for use by the project Designers.
- Reads GIS maps and manipulates pole placement and numbering during database cleanup.
- Understands and uses detailed distribution maps provided by client and GIS group
- Utilizes a computer tablet and related applications to survey poles for correct framing, conductor sizes and other related equipment
- Takes site pictures based on BHI Energy standards and procedures
- Collects data using Utilityscan GPR unit
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes vehicle inspection checklists and returns them to the responsible administrative assistant on a daily basis
- Places cones, beacon, and other safety measures around vehicles as part of site safety
- Completes a site safety check and safety pre job briefing to include all personnel at the site
- Completes a ride-out checklist
Prioritizes own work based on direction of Field Survey Supervisor. Exercises minimal judgement within defined procedures to determine appropriate action. Assesses the scope of assigned projects, collects data and executes duties.
The GPR/Survey Technician communicates with Supervisors, Mappers, and Designers.
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY:
Works on tasks of low complexity where judgement requires little independent judgment and makes routine recommendations. Receives detailed instructions on routine work and on new assignments.
Working conditions change per job. You will be working outdoors in all types of weather utilizing proper safety precautions, rain will halt GPR work. PPE will be provided by the company (High Vis Vest, Gloves, Hardhat, etc.) You will be required to obtain EH rated boots. Periodically you will be required to sit for long periods of time in an office setting conducting mapping functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have a High School Diploma or GED. Previous electrical experience preferred. Knowledge of and/or expertise in field work techniques and data collection. Able to create and read detailed distribution maps using GIS software, as well as take detailed field notes for data collection and transfer the data to the computer. Experience with GPS to document features, work locations, and transects. Able to use a Tablet/PC and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Adobe Pro. Able to write work summary reports using Microsoft Word. Able to take pictures of poles and identify framing and equipment on the poles. Experience with cameras and a range finder. Ability to represent BHI Energy in a professional manner. Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain it throughout the duration of employment. Ability to work in a team environment with a high attention to safety guidelines. Must be able to work extended periods of time on a computer. Ability to focus on quality and attention to detail, work independently and think analytically. Possess excellent oral and written communication skills