Distribution Apprentice Needed!
Reports To: Foreman/General Foreman
The Apprentice Lineman will assist Journeyman Lineman and the Foreman while in training and learning the trade. Responsible for performing diversified work related to the construction and maintenance of poles, power lines, auxiliary facilities, and equipment for the distribution of electricity. Set’s a good example for newer apprentices, by always following and teaching safe practices. This position supports the Line team and works with other personnel from the department.
Construct, maintain, and inspect transmission and distribution of electrical or power lines.
- Provide technical skills needed for the operation and maintenance of reliable electrical services for the consumer, completing jobs with quality and timeliness.
- Provide for connecting and disconnecting, installing and removal, moving and transferring of various electrical devices on customers’ facilities, i.e. transformers, transformer banks, regulators, switches, switching devices, capacitor banks, etc.
- Route or reroute power lines over, under, or around existing lines and structures.
- Inspect and/or remove power lines that are damaged.
- Assist in carrying poles, digging holes, and other such operations involved in setting or replacing poles.
- Perform line switching or sectionalizing, as directed.
- Assist in on-the-job training of apprentices and other crew members in maintenance and construction of power lines.
- Responsible for timely submission of all Apprentice Program required documentation.
- May troubleshoot electrical problems on customer equipment.
- Drive bucket truck to jobsite and maintain truck stock.
- Investigate consumer complaints and make repairs to energized electrical distribution lines, as needed.
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This job operates in a field environment. This role routinely requires extended periods of bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, lifting in awkward positions, standing, twisting, reaching above shoulder level, working in confined spaces, working off a pole or in a bucket. Also, working in inclement weather conditions, such as extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, ice, snow, and wind for 10 hour work days, with breaks. During storms this role may work in these conditions from 10 to 15 hours daily, breaks included.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This position is physically active, with lifting required. Must be able to bend and lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
- High School Degree, or equivalent, with 3 years of experience.
- Valid CDL Class A driver’s license.
- Understanding of basic and/or advanced electrical principles, including knowledge of electricity and how to safely work around it.
- Knowledge of customer’s specifications and proficiency in all phases of line construction.
- Ability to assume full responsibility for completed work. Performs routine line work without close supervision, and complete work with quality and timeliness.
- Ability to comply with proper safety standards, procedures, and work practices.
- Ability to establish, manage, plan, and think strategically.
- Ability to build and foster collaborative relationships.
- Clarity of vision with the ability to judge distance and space relationships, hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Ability to read and interpret construction prints, plans, and specifications.
- Ability to climb poles and work at heights up to and exceeding 30 feet.
- Ability to operate efficiently a bucket truck, digger truck, wire pullers, backyard machine, air compressor, and tools necessary to build/maintain power lines.
- Ability to work outdoors, even in extreme weather conditions.
- Available to work weekends and/or nights.
- Willing to work out of market or away from home as work demands, traveling extensively when needed.
- 5 years of experience.
- OSHA 10 and Buck Squeeze Certifications a plus.
All applicants must pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
BHI will provide reasonable accommodations for the application process and during employment necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions. If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with BHI Energy, please email ESC@bhienergy.com providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you.