Possesses the skills to set up, adjust and operate manual lathes and/or mills and particular types of machine tools, including internal machining of globe, gate, and butterfly valves. Performs diversified machining operations primarily on
standard work, having tolerance and finish specifications requiring a general knowledge of machining practices and techniques.
* Works from drawings, sketches, and specifications in completing various machining operations.
* Performs machine setups to obtain close tolerances, fitting, and alignment of machined parts.
* Completes and maintains all necessary records for each job.
* Makes jigs, fixtures, or other specialized non-production devices as qualified and assigned.
* Acquires raw material, supplies, tools, etc., when necessary.
* Maintains work area in a clean, safe, and orderly fashion and conforms to all quality procedures and safety and human performance standards.
* Performs first piece inspections on an essential product for other machinists, as qualified and assigned.
* Performs routine preventative maintenance of machines.
* Troubleshoots drawings, machining, tooling, material, etc. and makes competent decisions pertaining to the job at hand.
* Operates machinery/equipment in a safe manner.
* Utilizes Geometric Dimension & Tolerance as called out on print.
* Ensures proper machine set up and accurate interpretation of prints and specifications to prevent damage to the material. Detects errors with frequent tolerance/quality checks.
* Ability to read depth mics, Calipers, and pit gauges
* Responsible for own level of production. May provide some training to others.
Education and Experience:
* Threading experience preferred.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Minimum of 3 years of trade school apprenticeship or equivalent shop experience.
* Technical training in shop math and blueprint reading is necessary to perform the job.
* Walks, stands, reaches, and bends frequently and for extended periods of time. Periodic lifting of moderate to heavy items may be required. Possesses good hand/eye coordination.
* Maintains and monitors machine shop equipment. Safeguards against improper use and incorrect set ups to prevent damage to machinery or injury to personnel.