About BHI Energy
BHI Energy is a broad umbrella organization with a complete service offering that covers all facets of Power Generation through the entire Electrical Delivery system. For over 40 years, our diverse services have been focused on multiple end markets, united by our level of service and quality, our unique partnership approach to our customer relationships, and our internal culture of how we interact with and support each other. To learn more about us, go to www.bhienergy.com.
BHI Energy provides competitive compensation & benefits, career advancement opportunities and a great work culture!
To develop, coordinate and oversee Substation and P&C (Protection & Control) related design activities as required to effectively serve our clients. Responsible for day-to-day work assignments on a project-specific basis, reviewing drafter's drawings and solving design issues as required. Work directly under Electrical PE (Professional Engineer).
Perform substation electrical utility system, analysis, design, inspection, and other related assignments requiring knowledge of engineering principles, electrical substation engineering/construction, and the exercise of sound professional judgment.
- Must have a good working knowledge of engineering principles attained through education and previous work experience.
- Must be computer literate and competent with Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD Electrical. Relay settings and testing software knowledge is preferred.
- Must be capable of effectively coordinating multiple activities associated with the analysis, design, troubleshooting, testing, and assessment of substation facilities/equipment simultaneously.
- Must possess the ability to understand computerized solutions to engineering problems.
- Must have outstanding oral and written communications skills. Must be able and willing to self-learn new software applications.
- Responsible for supporting or leading substation engineering project teams, with the development of one-line diagrams for Substations, relay one-line diagrams, three lines, schematics and elementaries, control house panel layouts, relay selection, SCADA design, creation of bills of materials, and cable schedules.
- Work within a multi-discipline team to develop efficient and reliable electrical design packages for medium and high voltage substationsCoordinate design activities to maintain project schedules, budget, quality requirements to ensure successful project completion.
- Assist in site visits and station walkdowns, estimating, and attending project meetings.
- Accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including BHI Energy's policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Design electrical substation facilities including one lines, three lines, schematics and elementaries, wiring and interconnections, P&C calculations, and reports, etc.
- Performs analysis, design and development of standard details, drawings, specifications of substation facilities and P&C schemes.
- Supports detailed technical analysis, perform various engineering studies such as arc-flash, load studies, relay coordination, etc.
- Prepare specifications for material, equipment, and construction work.
- Deliver accurate and thorough electrical designs that will meet industry standards and specifications and meet prudent engineering practices.
- Review internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability.
- Coordinate design activities with other multi-discipline project team members.
- Provide construction support including resolving site queries, attending site meetings, and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects.
- Maintain complete project documentation with respect to engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information.
- Testing/commissioning of relays, bench testing, etc.
- Maintain good working relationship with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
- Mentor and provide guidance to developing engineers within the department.
- Supports the technical and economic evaluation of substation design and P&C studies.
- Assists in the preparation of economic and operating feasibility studies and studies aimed at evaluating alternative systems, equipment, materials, or engineering methods.
- Prepares contract documents and specifications, conducts evaluation of bid proposals, and preparation of purchase requisitions.
- Assists in the preparation of progress reports, compliance documentation and record-keeping of substation and P&C technical documents and drawings.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
What it's going to take:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Electrical/Electronics engineering is required. EIT or registration as an Engineering Intern (EI) is preferred
- Five (5) years of engineering experience in the electric utility industry or utility consulting experience is preferred. Working knowledge of basic electrical engineering principles, substation design methods, distribution automation, power system protection, and transmission & distribution system are required
Apply now! BHI Energy’s Talent and Placement Specialists are waiting for your application.
BHI Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. BHI Energy is a federal contractor that requests priority referrals of protected veterans. BHI will provide reasonable accommodations for the application process and during employment necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions. If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with BHI Energy, please email ESC@bhienergy.com providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you.
If you have previously applied on BHI’s Career Portal please Log in here