About BHI Energy
BHI Energy is a broad umbrella organization with a complete service offering that covers all facets of Power Generation through the entire Electrical Delivery system. For over 40 years, our diverse services have been focused on multiple end markets, united by our level of service and quality, our unique partnership approach to our customer relationships, and our internal culture of how we interact with and support each other. To learn more about us, go to www.bhienergy.com.
BHI Energy provides competitive compensation & benefits, career advancement opportunities and a great work culture!
BHI Energy is seeking a Substation Engineering Lead responsible for the substation engineering for Wind, Solar, Battery Energy Storage and stand-alone substation projects.
- The Substation Engineering Lead works in the Engineering & Construction (E&C) Group and is responsible for all assigned substation projects from conception (Early Stage) through construction and commissioning (Execution).
- In the conceptual phase, the Substation Engineering Lead works with the Early Stage Project Manager to support the engineering requirements and scope with the Development Group. Projects can begin as FERC 1000 competitive transmission project proposals, or as greenfield projects.
- Role requires training, due diligence and technical oversight of external engineers of record (EOR) for all assigned substation projects to ensure compliance with required generation interconnection agreements, scope of work documents, project specifications, site specific design requirements, IEEE, NESC, ASCE and all other applicable industry codes and standards including and facility rating documentation and corporate safety goals.
- The position will secure engineering consulting resources from a list of approved suppliers by developing a scope of work, securing bids, evaluating, and awarding work through Integrated Supply Chain (ISC) Group.
- The position must coordinate with other project stakeholders to develop and secure a substation site, support any engineering updates, data and permits necessary to design and build the substation.
- Common activities include competitively sourcing, selecting and contracting geotechnical, survey, engineering, and construction services, and supporting the E&C Cost Estimating Team with scope assumptions.
- The position is responsible for coordinating the engineering deliverables in support of FERC Order 1000 competitive request for proposals, as well as the design and construction of awarded projects. Deliverables include Scope of work documents, Issued for Bid, Issued for Procurement, Issued for Construction, design criteria and As-built drawings.
- The position requires coordination with other groups to ensure that the assigned E&C substation projects are successful. Generally responsible for representing E&C"s internal and external interests on assigned projects, including presentations/briefing on current progress, issues, and risk mitigation in meetings with various levels of management.
- Employee in this role will support early stage design through commissioning for assigned projects by reviewing EOR drawings and organizing design reviews, supporting vendor product procurement, bid evaluations and contract oversight, material vendor contract support, field construction support and general problem solving.
- Support Transmission Services during review of interconnection documentation including system impact studies, facility studies, reactive and harmonic studies and Interconnection agreements and ensures that Transmission Owner requirements and E&C engineering design are consistent and in compliance with all ISO requirements and incorporated into the project design. Must be able to work with and communicate often to the respective transmission owners/operators/ISOs to ensure project deliverables will meet specific off-taker requirements, are timely and accurate.
- Manage all project long lead major material orders to minimize risk of delays or exceeding the project budget.
- Assists ISC with all substation project SOW creation, review, approval, and preparation of shopping carts for engineering services and materials in a timely manner.
- Supports E&C Estimating with template update via project feedback, technical support, and scope modifications.
- Works collaboratively with project engineering resources in various disciplines to determine project priorities, work plans and lines of demarcation.
- Ensures projects are efficiently, cost effectively and safely implemented in accordance with department process, procedures, industry standards and policies.
- Supports assigned project constructability reviews and resolves lessons learned issues as needed.
- Supports assigned project commissioning activities to meet corporate objectives.
- Support Legal in any regulatory filings, depositions and/or hearings.
- Collaborate with component OEMs to enhance/adapt their designs to better integrate with company"s philosophies.
- Bachelor"s degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Civil/Structural Engineering.
- Experience: 5+ years in Substation design and engineering of High Voltage substation projects.
- The ideal candidate must have a strong knowledge of substation design, excellent communication and project management skills, a bias for action, proven analytical and problem-solving skills, and an ability to provide value engineering and ensure design quality.
- The position requires technical competence such as the ability to understand one line and three-line diagrams, general arrangements, plan and profiles, NERC CIP requirements, Protection and Control, SCADA, telecom, facility ratings documentation and other common deliverables.
- Some travel required within North America.
- Project Engineering and/or Project Management experience with a strong bias for action. PMP and/or P.E. in related discipline is a plus.
- General understanding of renewable energy - wind, solar, and battery energy storage power generation and substation collection interconnection.
Apply now! BHI Energy’s Talent and Placement Specialists are waiting for your application.
BHI Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. BHI Energy is a federal contractor that requests priority referrals of protected veterans. BHI will provide reasonable accommodations for the application process and during employment necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions. If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with BHI Energy, please email ESC@bhienergy.com providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you.