Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients’ transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 60 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation, sustainability, and common-sense. Kleinfelder’s integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives – from project inception through design and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose – together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder is seeking a Staff Geologist to join our Environmental Site Assessment and Remediation, and Geotechnical practices in Southern California.
The candidate for this position will sit in our downtown Los Angeles office. The ideal candidate must work independently and as an integral team member, using knowledge of industry and/or professional guidelines and protocols to accomplish goals and objectives and solve problems of diverse scope. This is an exciting and challenging position that requires exceptional verbal and written communication skills and a highly organized and responsive candidate, capable of working in a diverse team environment, and handling multiple tasks with competing priorities.
Under direct supervision, this individual will be responsible for completing well-defined, assigned field and office tasks including, but not limited to:
- Phase I ESA reporting.
- Task managing and performing field sampling efforts, including:
- Health and safety support.
- Providing technical support to staff-level engineers, geologists, and field technicians.
- Assisting Project Managers with preparation of technical reports and proposals.
- Supporting Project Managers with budget management and client interaction.
- Coordinating field preparation activities (e.g., boring layout and utility clearance, permitting, agency notifications, utility clearance),
- Groundwater and soil vapor sampling,
- Oversight of subcontractors, and
- Sample collection and logging of soil borings and test pits.
EXPERIENCE & ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
- At least 3–6 years of related experience, demonstrating increasing responsibilities and successful technical execution on environmental assessment projects. Geotechnical project experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Geology, Engineering, or other related field. Advanced degree(s) preferred.
- Professional License is not required, but preferred. Ability to obtain professional registration in California (e.g., PE or PG) a plus.
- OSHA 40HR HAZWOPER training completed. Current annual refresher training preferred.
- Must have proficient knowledge of federal, state and local agency laws, regulations, and permitting requirements.
- Loss Prevention System or similar behavior-based loss prevention system experience and expertise.
- Experience with municipal and regional government clients preferred.
- Advanced computer skills with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, and Power Point. Experience with MS Project a plus.
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Leadership and strong ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Client focused and customer service oriented to understand and appropriately respond to clients’ project needs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Health and safety focused.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet project schedules.
- Good judgment and sound decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail.
- Results-oriented delivery and staying current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Willingness to provide career and technical mentorship.
- This position is performed in an office and field environment.
- Candidate must pass a medical surveillance that includes drug screening and respiratory function testing in order to operate in respirator controlled environments.
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs
- Up to 80% of time may be dedicated to field activities in varying environmental conditions including inclement weather.
- Some night and weekend work may be required for this position.
- May periodically require travel and stays outside of the greater Los Angeles area.
Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans. (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.