Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients’ transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 60 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation and common-sense. Kleinfelder’s integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives from project inception through design and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose – together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder is seeking a creative, highly talented Geotechnical Director of Geotechnical Engineering to lead its geotechnical engineering discipline in the Bay Area, as well as manage high profile projects. We are flexible with location and would like the ideal candidate to sit in either our Oakland or Pleasanton, CA office.
The Bay Area offices support a variety of public and private clients in the areas of commercial development, school and university work, transportation, oil and gas, power and water projects across Northern and Southern California, and other locations nationally.
As part of the assigned duties the Geotechnical Discipline Leader will oversee the development of technical scope for proposals, perform geotechnical engineering design, prepare geotechnical engineering reports, and will oversee earthwork activities as the Geotechnical Engineer of Record. This position commands a dynamic leader who has strong communication skills, a solid network and the ability to deal technically and operationally across internal and external teams of various capabilities. Responsibilities include staff supervision and mentoring to assure delivery of industry-specific solutions to our clients. The successful candidate will assure client needs are met by providing constructible designs, meeting deadlines, and creating clear communications with our clients.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work independently or in multidisciplinary teams
- Expertise in performing stability analysis, liquefaction, and settlement analysis
- Expertise in planning, implementing, and managing geotechnical exploration programs including assigning laboratory testing
- Experience guiding staff engineers in performing material and site characterization, seepage, slope stability, settlement analyses, etc.
- Experience preparing geotechnical reports, drawings, and specifications for foundations and earthwork for a wide range of projects including transportation, water, retail, hospitality, commercial, etc.
- Experience supporting project managers in budget management, client updates, and general project management tasks
- Experience preparing and presenting technical presentations to clients and technical review boards
- Experience supervising field observation, testing, and performing site visits
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot and problem-solve with practical, client-focused solutions
- Experience leading teams and professionally develop staff at all levels
- Ability to organize priorities and multi-task effectively
- A thirst to learn and achieve continuous improvement in a team environment
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) and Geotechnical Engineer (GE)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering – preferably civil, geotechnical, geological, or environmental engineering
- 15+ years of related geotechnical experience in consulting engineering firm or related service business and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations required
- Utilizes the most current technologies/methodologies in field of expertise
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience supervising a team with various levels of experience, knowledge and capabilities
- Established network of CA client contacts
- Experience building a book of business
- Experience managing a portfolio great than $2 million
- Experience working with high tech clients
Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans. (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.