Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients’ transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 60 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation and common-sense. Kleinfelder’s integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives - from project inception through design and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose – together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder is seeking a creative, highly talented and experienced Transportation Engineer to serve in a project oversight role on state sponsored transportation projects. We are flexible with location and would like the ideal candidate to align to any of Kleinfelder’s Los Angeles Area offices (Los Angeles, Long Beach, Riverside, Orange County).
This opportunity allows access and participation on some of the largest scale transportation projects in California. The chosen candidate will have the opportunity to grow professionally through ongoing trainings, courses and certifications from one of the largest quality assurance programs in the world. This is an excellent opportunity for those with experience in engineering, materials engineering, materials testing, and quality assurance who are ready to grow and have more responsibilities. In this role, you will be working to make sure our clients processes, submittals, and workmanship are all compliant with their specifications. This position will be a good mix of office and field work and the travel is minimal.
The work in this role includes:
- Work with customers as the single point of contact, including Resident Engineers (RE), Structure Construction Representatives (SR), District Materials Engineers (DME), Design, contractors, suppliers and vendors. Conduct various materials-related meetings and help support effective materials management for the project.
- Manage verification and acceptance of work product pursuant to QA activities in accordance with the guidelines set forth by Caltrans. Identify and document deviations and non-conformances from established standards and ensure resolution.
- Make objective and reasonable materials engineering decisions related to ensuring materials and products used in Caltrans construction projects comply with contract requirements including performing project engineering reviews to identify material-related issues that may affect project quality.
- Assist Caltrans in anticipating and resolving any issues associated with material source inspection and QA activities. Meet with appropriate Caltrans project personnel to identify materials related issues and recommends solutions consistent with project documents and Quality System manuals
- Analyze material data provided by technical staff, including inspectors, in order to determine engineering solutions and provide engineering recommendations to customers.
- Provide direction to inspectors and technical staff regarding materials inspection requirements. Maintain standards and consistency while minimizing the impact on work schedule and cost.
- Visit job sites, fabrication and manufacturing shops as needed to perform field observations and ensure adequate QA measures are employed in order to ensure compliance with the project requirements. Ensure all Quality Control Plans are reviewed and submitted on time and review inspection reports in a timely manner. Complete other QA related duties as assigned by the Caltrans Quality Assurance and Source Inspection (QASI) Branch Senior for a Task Order.
- Review engineering calculations, material submittals, and contractor generated Requests For Information (RFI).
- Coordinate and meet regularly with a team of engineers and technicians as needed to perform the work.
- Prepare estimates, budgets and proposals.
- Assess conditions for safety concerns
Required Skills and Experience:
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) registered with the State of California - or the ability to attain within 6 months
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – with an emphasis preferably in construction, materials, mechanical, or quality systems
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with transportation projects
- Previous experience with materials testing or materials engineering
- Commitment to client service, employee success, quality, and safety
- In-depth knowledge of Caltrans engineering, construction, and project management jurisdiction requirements.
- Previous experience with Caltrans
- Proficient technical writer (i.e. clear, detailed, and concise) and reviewer of data and reports
- Technical knowledge of various construction processes and systems, including structural steel, welding, reinforced concrete, and corrosion protection
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Current driver’s license with acceptable (i.e. good) driving record
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Master’s degree in Engineering
- Previous experience in project management
- ASQ certification
Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.