Kleinfelder has been connecting great people to the best work since 1961. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients’ transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. As a responsive, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, and innovative problem-solvers, we are dedicated to doing the right thing, every day, on every project from over 60 offices in the US, Canada and Australia.
Built on a foundation of excellence, Kleinfelder is committed to client-focused solutions. Through our depth of experience and thorough understanding of environmental, regulatory, economic, and civic conditions, we identify and address challenges with innovation and common-sense. Kleinfelder’s integrated, award-winning experts collaborate with clients to meet their objectives – managing the entire project lifecycle from project inception through design, permitting, construction and execution. Connecting great people to the best work is our purpose – together, we deliver.
Kleinfelder is seeking a Permitting Specialist to join our Permitting & Planning team based out of our client’s office in Pearl River, NY.
As a Permitting Specialist, you will work in a team-oriented environment, helping to provide our client with permitting services on a diverse range of design, engineering and environmental projects and be expected to operate with a high degree of independence, self-direction and initiative. Serving in a client-facing capacity, the successful candidate must have an, positive attitude and the ability to communicate effectively with project management, clients, regulators, contractors and sub-consultants.
This position entails permitting and planning activities on a diverse range of complex projects including, but not limited to:
- Electric Transmission
- Natural Gas Pipeline
- Gas Pipeline Installation
- Renewable Energy (Wind/Solar) Generation Projects
- Diverse Permitting Projects
- Various Storm Hardening Activities
- Environmental Remediation Projects
Required Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, environmental science, or related field, and a minimum 3-6 years of experience.
- Proven permitting project experience at the federal, state, and local levels. Experienced in and have the ability to apply regulations, compliance, and permitting regulations to projects including: FERC, USACE, USFWS, New York Public Service Commission/New Jersey Board of Public Utilities & NYSDEC/NJDEP permitting regulations, DOT, soil conservation districts, floodplain development, etc.
- Experienced in the application process to obtain approvals from state and county agencies, including planning and zoning board approvals from municipalities.
- Excellent verbal, written, and technical communications; ability to review reports, procedures, and correspondence internally and externally for public agencies and for clients.
- Ability to effectively coordinate field work, direct and support other technical staff, interact with clients, stakeholders and contractors.
- Must be able to handle change, and be able to prioritize, organize and manage multiple project assignments with aggressive schedules simultaneously.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Public relations and notifications of ongoing and upcoming field activities;
- Direct client interactions including team meetings to discuss ongoing activities;
- Obtaining, verifying, and maintaining project documentation pertaining to daily quantities of work and work activities, record drawings, project events, correspondence, and recordkeeping;
- Managing other duties as assigned;
- Monitor safety activities of contractors performing work at the site;
- Performing a variety of field assignments, as needed.
This position offers a great opportunity for an individual who is eager to manage challenging permitting projects and to be entrusted with various levels of responsibility.
We do require that candidates for this position have 3-5 years of permitting experience working in the public sector or for clients; a Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering or environmental science (or similar), possess excellent communication and writing skills, and have familiarity with Microsoft Office.
Kleinfelder offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
Kleinfelder is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules)
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES
Please note that Kleinfelder does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, Kleinfelder will not consider or agree to payment for any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Kleinfelder explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resume, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Kleinfelder.