Kennel Attendant - Part Time
Middletown, OH Posted: 8/12/2019
Kennel Attendant - Part Time
All About PetCare
3410 Tytus Ave.
Middletown, OH 45042
All About PetCare is proud to serve Butler, Warren, and Montgomery County and surrounding areas. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of veterinary medicine along with friendly, compassionate service. We believe in treating every patient as if they were our own pet and giving them the same loving attention and care. We are a group of highly trained, experienced animal lovers who are devoted to giving our patients the best care possible.
- Modern Surgery Suite
- Surgical Lasers
- Digital and Dental Radiography
- Therapeutic Laser
- Long Term Staff
A kennel attendant provides daily care, feeding and exercise of boarding and hospitalized pets. He or she also pays close attention to pets’ status such as signs of stress and changes in eating or elimination habits, promptly notifying technicians and veterinarians when a pet needs medical attention. The kennel attendant interacts with clients in person and by phone and e-mail. Proper record documentation and accurate completion of boarding forms and cage cards is critical. A kennel attendant must pay close attention to details, understand and follow proper feeding and sanitation procedures and monitor boarding and hospitalized pets.
Job duties include but not limited to:
- Passionate care to boarding pets and hospitalized patients
- Walk through kennel area regularly, checking each pet for any abnormal activity such as vomiting, diarrhea or blood in the cage or run
- Report abnormal activity to doctors and technicians, pull patient’s medical record
- Recognize emergency situations, enlisting the aid of doctors and technicians
- Mark records correctly for eating, drinking and elimination habits
- Feed and water animals according to schedules
- Clean and disinfect cages, runs and yard as needed, using hoses and spray bottles of disinfectant. Use a squeegee to remove excess water.
- Clean cat litter boxes and disinfect kitty condos
- Clean and disinfect all food and water bowls
- Wear personal protective equipment required for the area and maintain the personal protective equipment in good working order. Personal protective equipment includes goggles or face shields, aprons, full body aprons, gloves, boots and booties or other equipment assigned.
- Move pets to yard or other areas so runs can be disinfected; return animal to correct run after the run is clean and dry.
- Remove soiled bedding and take it to the laundry area
- Place clean bedding in runs
- Operate washer and dryer to clean kennel bedding and hospital laundry
- Give baths to animals that quality for a bath before they go home
- Administer medications to pets that require medications while boarding
- Supervise animals when they are in the yard
- Perform “TLC” play times or walks for clients who have requested it
- Check-in animals for boarding, talk with owners, write specific feeding and medication instructions, play times, walks, additional services; Record all information on boarding forms
- Place ID collars on all animals
- Take pets to treatment area for all medical services to be administered
- Record and label all personal belongings
- Record medication instructions on the kennel medication board
- Check out animals for boarding, talk with owners, return all personal belongings and review boarding report card with client
- Take animals to exam room if there is a doctor discharge
- Make medical records for animals needing a doctor exam, inform receptionists that there are now doctor charges and a doctor discharge is needed
- Collect any samples requested by the doctor or technician
- Know proper animal restraint techniques
- Maintain food and supply storage areas
- Understand infectious diseases and how to control and prevent their spread
- Take clients on kennel tours, explain services we offer, give out brochures
- Prepare boarding report cards for animals going home
- Communicate with clients in person and by phone and e-mail about the status of their pets
- High school diploma or equivalent, or in process of obtaining
- Experience in caring for animals, proper restraint techniques
- Minimum age requirement of 16 years old
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Endure sitting, standing and walking on hard floor surfaces for extended periods
- Ability to be confident around pets.
- Able to work in noisy work conditions with sounds from animals and equipment that can be moderately high.
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform duties while in hospital environment.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
Already have an account? Log in here