Job Title: Area Medical Director (“AMD”) South Region
Reports to: Vice President, Medical Operations
Purpose of the Job
The Area Medical Director of Mission Veterinary Partners (“MVP”) will own responsibility for ensuring Clinic Revenue Targets are achieved and minimum Standards of Care are developed and complied with at the clinics within a multistate region. This position also provides strategic direction, coaching, and mentoring to the Hospital Medical Directors/Leads, and DVM’s within the region to ensure safe, consistent, efficient, therapeutic and ethical patient care and outstanding client service. Where appropriate the AMD will develop multisite district medical directors to aid the regional clinic management and leverage technology for virtual meetings to aid in regional support. The AMD will work with recruiting and the medical teams to ensure DVM recruiting and retention needs are met. The AMD will collaborate with the RDOs and Medical Directors/Leads to develop a clinic annual operating plan. This position provides opportunities to speak publicly at Universities, Trade Shows, and promote Continuing Education. 70-80% travel will be required in the role. This will include overnight and out of state travel. The AMD understands they will wear many hats and will be passionate about clinical excellence, leadership, recruiting and retention and advocating for the growth of MVP.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive
DVM Mentoring, Training and Development (50% of Time)
- Ensure that a medical director or lead DVM is in place at each clinic.
- Work with the medical director and DVM’s to leverage support staff to improve work flow efficiency and deliver outstanding patient/client care based on implemented Standards of Care.
- Collaborate with the medical team to implement management strategies to increase pet care visits, per client transaction (PCT) maximization and appropriate charge capture, and revenue goals are achieved.
- Educate DVMs on the benefits of consolidating SKU’s, appropriate product selection and lab supplier selection.
- Ensure timely conveyance of hot topics in the news (i.e. pet food recalls, outbreaks, etc.) and provide educational pieces for team (i.e. Preventative Health Care).
- Collaborate with Regional Directors of Operations and Medical directors/leads to develop an annual operating plan for each clinic to include revenue targets and capex needs.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal and DEA regulations and each clinic within the territory is exercising best practice for controlled substance compliance.
- Utilize Microsoft Teams to coordinate regular MD/ML team virtual team meetings.
- Attend Dr. and Staff meeting and share best practices as appropriate.
- Identify and develop future DVM practice leaders
Retention and Recruiting (30% of Time)
- Establish relationships with DVMs in the territory resulting in DVM engagement, retention, medical and surgical skill development, compassion fatigue abatement and modeling appropriate leadership behaviors.
- Work with Medical Director/Lead to develop a performance optimization and mentoring plan for each DVM and conduct reviews at least yearly or more frequently as needed resulting in turnover rates of less than 10%
- Assist in staffing needs evaluation to promote medical team efficiency.
- Participate in the interview process and support contract negotiations (with VPMO).
- Build relationships with DVMs at non-MVP clinics with a constant eye towards attracting the top talent in the region to the MVP family.
- Promote and supervise internship, externship and mentorship programs to ensure a positive experience for students.
- Support University Recruiting events.
Initiative Support (20% of Time)
- Support New Business Development by identifying leads, acquisition support, attend staff intros and associate on boarding
- Work with integration to ensure smooth clinic transitions into the MVP family.
- Initiate strategic educational program development to ensure teammates remain up-to-date on Mission Veterinary Partners policies, new laws and regulations impacting work, and other information necessary to provide knowledgeable, accurate care.
- Support new initiative rollouts at clinic level, e.g. Vetspire, Antec, Airvet, Preferred Vendor partners, etc.
(Education, licenses, certifications, and experience required to fulfill the essential duties, include computer skills as required)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine; minimum of 5 years’ practical clinical experience in small animal medicine.
- Minimum of 5 years’ progressive management experience required.
- Demonstrated track record of successful fiscal and operating management; demonstrated financial expertise within a clinic business environment
- Demonstrated experience in planning and managing at strategic and operational levels.
- Intermediate computer skills and proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint required.
- Fluent in the written and verbal skills necessary to perform successfully the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of the position (English).
- Must be able to exchange accurate information throughout all levels of the organization and/or with all clients and team members.
ESSENTIAL BEHAVIORS, SKILLS, AND ATTITUDES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION
- Commitment to Mission Veterinary Partners core values of Service Excellence, Integrity, Team, Continuous Improvement, Accountability, Fulfillment and Fun with ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively to patients, teammates, management, DVMs, and/or vendors in everyday performance and interactions.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, DVMs, and teammates to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with an acute ability to listen attentively and to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills and ability to be “other-oriented”; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial openness and ability to explore new possibilities and to approach issues differently; a visionary; intellectually agile.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; able to identify meaningful goals and capture the imagination of others to achieve them; able to add value to discussions or projects that impact Mission Veterinary Partners position in the industry; able to bring out the best thinking and attitudes; able to recognize unique contributions of individuals and teamwork.
- Demonstrated business acumen; able to assess financial implications of decisions and actions; able to understand how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace and impact Mission Veterinary Partners.
- Demonstrated understanding of Mission Veterinary Partners, what makes the businesses successful, and able to balance that with patient and teammate satisfaction.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of internal and external Standards of Conduct as well as legal regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated expertise in building teams, managing and influencing people, processes and customer relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively produce a high quality of work and to initiate the completion of extensive multiple tasks not specifically directed in a fast-paced, ever-changing and evolving work environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of teammate management including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, retention, promoting, disciplinary actions, job performance evaluations, teammate professional development; strong familiarity with employment laws in assigned division.
- Demonstrated empathy and respect for teammates and patients.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience, and will include an attractive base salary, add-on acquisition bonuses, and a strong benefits package: Health Insurance (Medical/Dental/Vision), Voluntary Life and Short-Term Disability, 401K (with up to 4% match), Paid Time Off and Pet Discount!