Rochelle Veterinary Hospital has an opportunity for a part-time Kennel Attendant to join our team!
Rochelle Veterinary Hospital
1381 North 7th St, Rochelle, IL 61068
Rochelle Veterinary Hospital is a full service animal hospital and will take both emergency cases as well as less urgent medical, surgical, and dental issues. Our doctors have a combined 50+ years of experience treating companion animals. We pride ourselves on the level of care we provide to our community's pets!
We are looking for a Kennel Attendant to join our team on a part-time basis. Proposed schedule includes evening shifts consisting of three hours, 3-4 times/week.
Summary: A Kennel Attendant provides daily care, feeding and exercise of boarding and hospitalized pets. He or she also pays close attention to pets’ status such as signs of stress and changes in eating or elimination habits, promptly notifying technicians and veterinarians when a pet needs medical attention. Proper record documentation and accurate completion of boarding forms and cage cards is critical. A Kennel Attendant must pay close attention to details, understand and follow proper feeding and sanitation procedures and monitor boarding and hospitalized pets.
Reports to: Practice Manager
- Provide compassionate care to boarding pets and hospitalized patients.
- Walk through kennel area regularly, checking each pet for any abnormal activity such as vomiting, diarrhea or blood in the cage or run.
- Report abnormal activity to doctors and technicians, pull patient’s medical record.
- Recognize emergency situations, enlisting the aid of doctors and technicians.
- Mark records correctly for eating, drinking and elimination habits.
- Feed and water animals according to schedules.
- Clean and disinfect cages, runs and yard as needed, using hoses and spray bottles of disinfectant. Use a squeegee to remove excess water.
- Clean cat litter boxes and disinfect kitty condos.
- Clean and disinfect all food and water bowls.
- Wear personal protective equipment required for the area and maintain the personal protective equipment in good working order. Personal protective equipment includes goggles or face shields, aprons, full body aprons, gloves, boots and booties or other equipment assigned.
- Move pets to yard or other areas so runs can be disinfected; return animal to correct run after the run is clean and dry.
- Remove soiled bedding and take it to the laundry area.
- Place clean bedding in runs.
- Operate washer and dryer to clean kennel bedding and hospital laundry.
- Administer medications to pets that require medications while boarding.
- Supervise animals when they are in the yard.
- Perform “TLC” play times or walks for clients who have requested it.
- Check-in animals for boarding, talk with owners, write specific feeding and medication instructions, play times, walks, additional services; Record all information on boarding forms.
- Administer flea and tick control on all animals.
- Take pets to treatment area for all medical services to be administered.
- Record and label all personal belongings.
- Record medication instructions on the kennel medication board.
- Check out animals for boarding, talk with owners, return all personal belongings and review boarding report card with client.
- Take animals to exam room if there is a doctor discharge.
- Make medical records for animals needing a doctor exam, inform receptionists that there are now doctor charges and a doctor discharge is needed.
- Collect any samples requested by the doctor or technician.
- Know proper animal restraint techniques.
- Maintain food and supply storage areas.
- Understand infectious diseases and how to control and prevent their spread.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Endure sitting, standing and walking on hard floor surfaces for extended periods
- Ability to be confident around pets.
- Able to work in noisy work conditions with sounds from animals and equipment that can be moderately high.
- Fluent in the written and verbal skills necessary to perform successfully the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
- Must be able to exchange accurate information with all clients and team members.
Mission Veterinary Partners is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Apply today for immediate consideration!