Electrical Controls Engineer
Rochester, NY Posted: 5/17/2023
Our Client offers Total Gear Solutions to its global customer base. They are a leader in the development and manufacture of production systems for all types of gears including design software for gears and power transmission systems, gear production machinery, metrology systems, automation solutions, related equipment and plastic gears.
This position will have total lifecycle ownership of the electrical control's hardware of a machine tool family. The primary responsibility for the Electrical Controls Engineer is providing the design, development, maintenance, documentation and troubleshooting for the electrical control's hardware for gear manufacturing machines.
- Design, development, maintenance, documentation and troubleshooting of gear manufacturing machines.
- Work with other Engineering groups (Fluid Power, Mechanical, Software and Applications Engineering) to facilitate a Systems Engineering approach to the machine design.
- Work with Proposals and Sales to understand Customer Specifications and applicable Safety Standards to develop machine cost and schedule estimates.
- Use EPLAN for system schematics and BOM creation.
- Use Creo View to interpret Mechanical Designs
- Maintain schematic masters and master BOMs for current and legacy machines.
- Provide customized designs for electrical controls, including functional requirements, customer specifications, and proper selection of components.
- Manage updates and changes based on customer/supplier interactions. (Engineering Change Orders)
- Interface with Assembly Methods to apply the appropriate part coding and documentation to facilitate efficient machine assembly.
- Participate in Process Improvement efforts that identify deficiencies in Electrical Controls Hardware and systematically develop solutions.
- Follow, improve and create Work Instructions that document Electrical Controls Hardware Engineering processes.
- Develop and maintain schematics and wiring diagrams
- Develop symbols, utilize a library of symbols, download manufactured items and use them appropriately, use relations within Eplan to develop stock list
- Fluent in both NFPA and IEC styles of controls schematic interpretation and creation.
- Business Systems Skills
- Tasks will include creating and maintaining BOMs and material masters for components
- Manage BOMs for ETO's (Engineer to Order, customer specials)
- Review machine BOM and parts availability
- Familiar with SAP or similar data management system for business
- Component Selection and Configuration: develop electrical control systems with suppliers such as Fanuc and Siemens.
- Develop 2D panel layouts and perform spatial studies. Standardize configurations to optimize performance and reduce cost.
- Facilitate Design Review, FMEA (Failure Mode Effects Analysis) and cross functional design meetings by coordinating the meeting, recording/ publishing meeting minutes, formalizing documents, and driving the completion of open action items
- Attend Technical Review Meetings and configure machines with lead time and production requirements in mind.
- Provide appropriate Engineering hours and material costs for quotation as well as costs for additional testing and installation.
- Preferred Training and Experience:
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years of experience, including internships/co-ops
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Already have an account? Log in here